Willow Round Large BasketWelsh Otter
Available to order with 4 working day delivery in the UK.
Justine of West Wales Willows grows her own willow in West Wales. She hand weaves this beautiful baskets using a mixture of dark and light willows, to create a stunning piece.
- The willow is first stripped and soaked, and the horizontals then woven around the upright stakes and tapped down with a rapping iron
- This large round basket uses a stunning mix of pale and dark willows, to create a beautiful striped effect of concentric circles
- A great size for a variety of uses- including as a fruit bowl, a serving bowl, for flower cuttings, or it can be hung on the wall for display and to bring texture and interest to a room.
- Basket making is one of the oldest crafts in the world, and a centuries old tradition in Wales, where the climate is optimal for willow growing
Willow trees ("withies") have for a long time been part of the local flora, as is mirrored in local place names like "Withybush".
- Pattern and colour of willow might vary
- Dimensions: Diameter 30cm, Height 9cm
- Delivery: Please allow four working days
About the maker: Established in 2000, West Wales Willows is run by Justine and Alan Burgess. They grow their own willow on their small holding in Carmarthenshire, from which they weave their beautiful baskets, garden accessories and heritage items. They also offer willow weaving workshops. The climate in West Wales is ideal for willow plants - enough moisture all year round, intermingled with periods of glorious sunshine and blue sky, giving the willows what they need to grow into lovely strong rods. In 2019, they were awarded National Plant Collection status for Salix/Willow by Plant Heritage. They are a member of the Heritage Crafts Association and the Basketmakers’ Association.