Willow DragonflyWelsh Otter
Justine of West Wales Willows grows her own willow in West Wales. She hand weaves these dark and light 'withies' to create stunning pieces.
- This little dragonfly is beautifully and cleverly constructed using a mid-coloured willow, and finished with a string hanger.
- The willow is first stripped and soaked before being carefully woven.
- Makes a lovely decoration for a room, to add texture and interest.
- Willow weaving is one of the oldest crafts in the world, and a centuries old tradition in Wales, where the climate is optimal for willow growing.
Willow trees have for a long time been part of the local flora, as is mirrored in local place names like 'Withybush'.
- Dimensions: Wingspan: 15cm approx.
- Delivery: Please allow one week.
About the maker: Established in 2000, West Wales Willows is run by Justine and Alan Burgess. They grow their own willow on their small holding in Carmarthenshire, from which they weave their beautiful baskets, garden accessories and heritage items. They also offer willow weaving workshops. The climate in West Wales is ideal for willow plants - enough moisture all year round, intermingled with periods of glorious sunshine and blue sky, giving the willows what they need to grow into lovely strong rods. In 2019, they were awarded National Plant Collection status for Salix/Willow by Plant Heritage. They are a member of the Heritage Crafts Association and the Basketmakers’ Association.