Cwmwl Tapestry Cushion - GreyWelsh Otter
Available to order with 3 working day delivery in the UK.
Exclusive to Welsh Otter - our limited edition Cloud 'Cwmwl' cushions are made from our tapestry of the same name, and contain natural yarns in grey and white. It is newly woven at a traditional woollen mill by Mike in Carmarthenshire, Wales.
The pattern design itself is known as 'Pennsylvania' and is unique to this mill. It was created in the 1980s by Mike himself in response to a commission from a customer in Pennsylvania, USA, and also remembers the hundreds of Welsh migrants that settled in along the Pennsylvanian coast from the late 1600s.
This is a very limited edition design - the pattern has not been woven for two years.
- A beautiful and versatile blend of greys and whites
- Made from natural, undyed yarns from British sheep
- Chemical free
- 'Cwmwl' or Cloud, was chosen as the name to reflect the soft grey and whites - reminiscent of the fast-moving clouds coming in from the Irish Sea above Wales, ever changing from white to grey, and back again!
- A useful, adaptable fabric that captures the 'Welsh Scandi' vibe
- Beautifully woven in 100% wool
- A polyester cushion pad inner and a zip opening
- The fabric is a close weave that is hard wearing
- Size: 45cm x 25cm
- Care instructions: Cool wool wash
- Delivery: Please allow three working days for delivery
By purchasing this product you are supporting traditional crafts and makers in rural Wales.
About the maker: Mike has been operating his woollen mill for 40 years in the heart of Carmarthenshire. He is an expert in the weaving process, and his skills are second to none. He uses his faithful Dobcross loom 'Tom' to weave the Pennsylvania design, a loom which is approaching 70 years old! It takes around one week to set up the yarn ready for weaving in a particular colourway, involving the winding of the warp to go on the loom, and 2,532 knots to be tied. Each individual large bedcover takes half a day to weave. Mike's work has been vital to keeping the Welsh woven traditional alive and his craftsmanship shines through in his beautiful products.