'Cwmwl' Cloud Welsh Tapestry BedcoverWelsh Otter
Available to order with 4 working day delivery in the UK.
Exclusive to Welsh Otter - our limited edition Cloud 'Cwmwl' tapestry bedspread contains natural yarns in grey and white. It is newly woven at a traditional woollen mill by Mike in Carmarthenshire, Wales.
The pattern design itself is known as 'Pennsylvania' and is unique to this mill. It was created in the 1980s by Mike himself in response to a commission from a customer in Pennsylvania, USA, and also remembers the hundreds of Welsh migrants that settled in along the Pennsylvanian coast from the late 1600s.
This is a very limited edition design - the pattern has not been woven for two years.
- A beautiful and versatile blend of greys and whites
- Made from natural, undyed yarns from British sheep
- Chemical free
- 'Cwmwl' or Cloud, was chosen as the name to reflect the soft grey and whites - reminiscent of the fast-moving clouds coming in from the Irish Sea above Wales, ever changing from white to grey, and back again!
- A useful, adaptable fabric that captures the 'Welsh Scandi' vibe!
- Woven in a design known as 'Pennsylvania', which is exclusive to this woollen mill
- Double weave - which means there is a different colourway on each side (one side white background, the other side grey background), depending on the look that you want for your room
- Beautifully woven in 100% wool
- All bedcovers and throws are fringed on two ends
- The fabric is a heavier weight woollen with a close weave that is hard wearing. It designed to be used to go over a bed, or as a cover for a sofa or a chair, or can even be used as a floor rug with an appropriate rug underlay.
- Size: Available as:
- Large bedcovers - 240cm x 230cm approximately (four day delivery)
- Smaller bedcovers - 240cm x 180cm approximately (four day delivery)
- Thows - 150cm x 130cm approximately (four day delivery)
- Care instructions: Cool wool wash
- Delivery: Please allow four working days for the bedcovers and up to two weeks for the throws
By purchasing this product you are supporting traditional crafts and makers in rural Wales.
About the maker: Mike has been operating his woollen mill for 40 years in the heart of Carmarthenshire. He is an expert in the weaving process, and his skills are second to none. He uses his faithful Dobcross loom 'Tom' to weave the Pennsylvania design, a loom which is approaching 70 years old! It takes around one week to set up the yarn ready for weaving in a particular colourway, involving the winding of the warp to go on the loom, and 2,532 knots to be tied. Each individual large bedcover takes half a day to weave. Mike's work has been vital to keeping the Welsh woven traditional alive and his craftsmanship shines through in his beautiful products.