Willow Shoulder Basket with StrapWelsh Otter
Available to order with 4 working day delivery in the UK.
Justine and Alan of West Wales Willows grow their own willow in West Wales, located on the banks of a beautiful upland stream. Justine hand weaves these beautiful baskets using a mixture of dark and light willows, to create a stunning piece.
- The willow is first stripped and soaked, and the horizontals then woven around the upright stakes and tapped down with a rapping iron
- This useful basket is designed to be carried on your shoulder, and incorporates a beautiful leather strap
- It uses a stunning mix of pale and dark willows, to create a beautiful and natural striped effect
- A great size for a variety of uses- including for the carrying of shopping, flower cuttings, fruit or to hang for display in your home
- Adds texture and warm to a room
- Basket making is one of the oldest crafts in the world, and a centuries old tradition in Wales, where the climate is optimal for willow growing
Willow trees ("withies") have for a long time been part of the local flora, as is mirrored in local place names like "Withybush".
- Pattern and colour of willow might vary according to natural availability of the willow
- Gift boxed
- Dimensions: Width across opening - 30 x 15cm approx, Height 15cm
- Delivery: Please allow four working days
About the maker: Established in 2000, West Wales Willows is run by Justine and Alan Burgess. They grow their own willow on their small holding in Carmarthenshire, from which they weave their beautiful baskets, garden accessories and heritage items. They also offer willow weaving workshops. The climate in West Wales is ideal for willow plants - enough moisture all year round, intermingled with periods of glorious sunshine and blue sky, giving the willows what they need to grow into lovely strong rods. In 2019, they were awarded National Plant Collection status for Salix/Willow by Plant Heritage. They are a member of the Heritage Crafts Association and the Basketmakers’ Association.